Saturday, November 23, 2013
"John's 'Code of Steinbeckery,' as he called it, had several provisions about drinking. I have forgotten most of the code, but here is part of it:
1. Cogito, ergo cogito sum. (Considering John's pig-fixation, I think it's reasonable to call this pig-Latin.)
2. Always keep yourself off balance.
3-a. When the martini calls, balls!
3-b. When brandy beckons, no seconds.
4. Never let a drunk catch your eye.
5. If you wonder whether you are U, you aren't. ('U' refers to Nancy Mitford's tests for Upperclass and non-Upperclass people.)
6. Steinbeckery always increases.
I recommend Number 4 to everybody; it has saved me grief time and again."
From John Steinbeck: Mumbles, Bellows, Scowls and Laughs