Friday, May 4, 2012

Quick Review

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Amazed, frankly, to find that I enjoyed these stories am thoroughly as I did! Not my usual reading, I took up this volume on only the recommendation of the critic, Michael Dirda, and with considerable skepticism, as I do not read science fiction or fantasy, as such anymore, and haven't since my teens. Waldrop does indeed deserve his rather cultish reputation within the genre, but I am now convinced he deserves a wider and more serious readership as well. These stories are the equal -- in invention, execution and wit -- of Philip K. Dick, and while, as I understand it, Waldrop has produced nothing like Dick's full shelf of novels, stories, essays and the like, Waldrop nevertheless in his smaller way is just as good.



No comments:

Post a Comment