Friday, August 12, 2011

Our First Effort


Here then the evidence of our first effort. The brilliant young Anna Micklin, new pilot of the bookstore's EBM, Homer, has made our little scheme real. Inside, the text of Twain's story, plus the new introduction -- see below -- by me. Outside, my pencil sketch and her skills to make the cover. A slight thing, but our own.

As can be seen in the rather wonky scan at right, the title page announces this little number "as part of the Dog Days of Summer Reading Series," and so, indeed, it is. Tomorrow evening, at six, Michael Wallinfels will be reading this very story at the bookstore. My sincere hope is that someone besides me shows up to hear him. He's quite good, you know, and not hard to look at, come to that. Time permitting and anyone lingers after the dazzling Michael has had his turn, I will have a go at P. G. Wodehouse's story, "The Mixer." Meanwhile, whatever happens with tomorrow's show, here's evidence for you of our commitment to bring new/old books to the attention of the people, and or their pets.

Even if the talented Michael reads only to me, and I to him tomorrow, this little book represents a real beginning, I think. New technology like the Espresso Book Machine has such exciting possibilities. One has only to investigate them to see the almost limitless potential for bookstores and their customers, for new readers of old books, new and established writers looking to have a go at affordable and attractive self-publishing, etc., etc. Now it's true, I haven't much to do with all that last, as that's Anna's corner, but as you can see, our Homer is capable of accommodating even the more eccentric projects of an old print-junky like me.

As I say, it's a good start. So, even if you can't attend our reading this Saturday, if you are any kind of a bibliophile, do please pay a visit to any of the independent bookstores now operating one of these remarkable machines. Besides ours at the University Book Store, right here in the Northwest there's another at Third Place Books, and yet another at Village Books in Bellingham. Well worth investigating all three. All manner of interesting things happening, believe me.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely time I had listening to you both. And you chose the right order for reading those stories. As you already know, I LOVE your newest book cover ... as I did the one you did for Thackeray! Go you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just saw this now---yay!! we'll keep on perfecting it.

    ReplyDelete