Thursday, April 5, 2012

Quick Review

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Edition I read was not easy reading, not because of the often delightful content or the poet's language but because of the archaic typeface reprinted from a Google book on the Espresso Book Machine. Hate that long "S." Still, well worth the struggle as I'd never have had access otherwise to these great English letters.

Pope did himself a damage by editing these, and improving the originals for publication. May I just say, as a common reader, that however Pope's letters came to their state of perfection I could not care, for nearly perfect they are as sterling examples of 18th Century wit and elegance.

Someone needs to reprint these in an easier reading edition. These classic letters deserve new readers!



No comments:

Post a Comment