Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vacation Readings

Last year, when I went back to see the old people in Pennsylvania, I worked long and hard to prepare a series of essays by other hands to fill this space in my absence. The response was less than enthusiastic. One friend said the idea was clever, but that he hadn't read any of the classic essays I'd posted, as they were not by me. Flattering, that, I suppose. I heard similar things from other regular visitors to this site. Considering all the typing etc. that went into that effort, I've decided to go a different way this year.

So this time, instead of reproduced masterpieces of the essay, I thought I would read to you, every day. Of necessity, these readings will be very short; just the briefest poems and excerpts, but funny, so as to keep with the spirit of my time away -- hopefully.

The primary function of this blog has been to amuse, however lightly, so this little vacation project will do the job while I'm away.

I've selected quite a few things from the little volume of Comic Poems from the Everyman's Library Pocket Poets. Most are only a minute or two in the reading. Among the authors selected, I've included old favorites of mine, like Hilaire Belloc, Dorothy Parker, Phyllis McGinley, and Ogden Nash. Amidst the nonsense, there is, as always, a good deal of good sense as well. You may decide for yourselves which is which.

Hopefully, this brief visits with the humble reader, will suffice while I'm off visitin' with the folks.

All you're likely to get, anyway.

Be back soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment