Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Selection from Clerihews Complete

Four clerihews, by their originator, E. Clerihew Bentley. The poet's middle name, by the way, came first, so to say, as the clerihew takes its name from him, not the other way 'round. But I'll let the Preface to his Clerihews Complete explain it better:

When first it dawned on mankind
"Biography for Beginners" was signed
(For reasons with which I will not weary you)
With the name E. Clerihew.

I am not without a claim
To the use of that honorable name,
Which those who happened to be listening
Heard bestowed on me at my christening.

But (for reasons which would only bore you)
The name on the collection before you
Has been changed -- I hope not detrimentally
-- To E. Clerihew Bentley.

There now, that's clear, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment